From ALLtech dental provider Delta Dental of Washington
The cause of a TMJ (temporomandibular joint) dysfunction can vary from person to person. In many cases, it can be difficult to even determine the cause since symptoms of TMJ often appear for no apparent reason.
A variety of symptoms have been tied to TMJ and can differ depending on the cause and/or severity of the condition. These can show up on one or both sides of the face and usually involve some level of jaw pain, tenderness, or stiffness.
Symptoms can include any or a combination of the following:
- Jaw pain, tenderness, and stiffness
- Jaw popping, clicking, and/or grating
- Lock jaw
- Pain or difficulty when chewing
- Pain in the neck and shoulders
- Pain, pressure, or ringing in the ears
- Chronic headaches
- Dizziness and/or vision problems
- A bite that feels misaligned
As always, it’s important to speak with your dentist about what you’re experiencing so that you can discuss your options and decide on a treatment plan that’s right for you.
For more details on TMJ, check out the Delta Dental blog.