From ALLtech dental provider Delta Dental of Washington
Did you know that diabetes can take a toll on the health of your smile? Even if you haven’t been diagnosed with diabetes, common dental problems such as gum inflammation could potentially be an early warning sign.
October is Diabetes Awareness Month. This month, prioritize your health by learning about other signs and possible symptoms of diabetes:
- Tooth decay: Elevated glucose in our saliva supplies more food to the cavity-causing bacteria in dental plaque.
- Gingivitis: Bacteria in plaque and tartar can cause swelling and bleeding along the gum line.
- Periodontal Disease: This condition is characterized by a loss of bone that supports the teeth. Periodontitis can contribute to spikes in blood sugar that makes diabetes more difficult to control and, in turn, gum disease harder to fight.
- Dry Mouth: A lack of lack of saliva in some cases, may result in difficulty swallowing, trouble speaking, a burning sensation, or a constant sore throat.
- Thrush: This causes painful red or white patches in the mouth which are made worse by smoking or high levels of sugar in your saliva.
For more information and a short video describing oral health and diabetes check out the Delta Dental of Washington blog.